So there I was – frantically typing away trying to complete a paper for publication when all of a sudden I felt the need for chocolate, butter and coffee. Coffee was not going to be a problem. I’ve got some great ground beans sitting on my kitchen shelf. But chocolate and butter? Hmm. That was a toughie. And then, I remembered a recipe I bookmarked a couple of days ago from Rasa Malaysia. This seemed the perfect time to give it a go. So off I went and abandoned my paper.
Less than an hour later, I had wonderful mini cakes. And they’re perfect for an afternoon snack or even, seeing as they’re not too sweet, for breakfast.
Mini Brownie Butter Cakes, adapted slightly from Rasa Malaysia
Yield: 12 mini cakes
- 140 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50 g butter
- 35 g brown butter
- 1 egg
- 35 g all purpose flour
- 100 g butter
- 75 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 g all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 g baking powder
- 50 ml fresh milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a standard muffin pan and set aside.
- To make the brownie, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Leave to cool slightly then stir in the brown sugar. Add the egg and mix well. Fold in the flour until combined then spoon a heaped tablespoon of batter into each well of your muffin pan.
- To make the butter cake, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Next, in goes the vanilla extract. Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder, alternately adding the milk to form batter. Divide the batter equally over the brownie batter until about 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
1. The original recipe called for much more sugar, but I reduced the amounts and found it to be just right. If you like things more on the sweeter side, go ahead and increase the sugar.
2. I baked the brownie and butter batter together, unlike the original recipe which called for the brownie batter to be baked first for 5 minutes. But my mini cakes come out just fine and saved me some time too!