I’m delighted to share my version of a cheese sandwich. Not because I’m the greatest cook in town (let me make that clear) but because this can be prepared in a second (I’m only slightly exaggerating) and is a great late-night meal in a hurry. It’s a beautiful thing. I used whatever I could find in my kitchen but you can jazz it up with kale or spinach or whatever else you fancy.
The Best Speedy Cheese Sandwich
Total Time: 15 Minutes
For the filling:
- 1 large capsicum, thinly sliced
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- pepper, freshly ground
- a pinch of salt
For the sandwich:
- 8 slices of bread
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add mushrooms and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Next, add the capsicum, pepper, salt and chopped parsley and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Toast bread and slather one side of all slices with unsalted butter. Top 4 slices of bread with the sharp Cheddar cheese and microwave until slightly melted, around 10 seconds per slice. Top the remaining 4 slices of bread with the mushroom and capsicum mixture. Then place a slice of bread (the one with the melted cheese) on top.
PS. This would go perfectly with our roasted tomato soup. Just saying.