“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!”
But I prefer
“When life gives you lemons, make lemon water!”
I’m a big believer in drinking warm water with a good squeeze of lemon juice, especially first thing in the morning. Having read so many articles on the health benefits of lemons, I thought I’d give it a try a few years ago. And gosh, am I happy I did!
In a nutshell, lemons although acidic in nature, are alkalizing for the body and do a great job of restoring balance to the body’s pH.
This list is not exhaustive but definitely gives you an idea about this powerful yellow fruit.
- Great detoxifier
- Rich in Vitamin C – the Vitamin C in lemons assist in neutralizing free radicals which is linked to aging and many other types of disease
- Contains citric acid which increases metabolism and burning fat (yay!)
- Can assist in indigestion problems (heartburn and bloating)
- Assists in lowering blood pressure and strengthening blood vessels
- Helps treat/soothe a sore throat (especially with a dollop of honey)
- Has powerful antibacterial properties which can help fight sickness
- Lemons are anti-carcinogenic – has been found to lower the rates of colon, prostate, and breast cancer
- Treats urinary tract infection
With all these benefits, why not give it a try? I must say that since beginning my routine of warm lemon water early in the morning, I’ve noticed several benefits.
I usually feel really energised and refreshed throughout the day but when I don’t have my drink, I start feeling a little sluggish
- My skin has improved
- My immune system must be happy – no coughs n colds for me
If you’re thinking of giving this a go, here are a few tips.
Try using warm/room temperature water, as hot water is said to kill the enzymatic properties of the lemon while ice water will hinder the digestive benefits of the lemon
- Drink it first thing in the morning – I normally drink my lemon water 30 mins before breakfast
- Start slowly – begin with a glass a day and build up to 2 glasses (if you like). Drinking more than 2 glasses immediately may cause uncomfortable detoxification symptoms such as headaches and bowel changes.
- Try adding a few sprigs of mint for a twist
Go “lemonise” your life!
All material is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this information; instead, readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being.
(Photo from Alexander Beim)